About the Institute
“I do not know what I may appear to the world; but to myself, I seem to have been only like a boy playing on the seashore, and diverting myself now and then in finding a smoother pebble or prettier shell than ordinary, while the great ocean of truth lay all undiscovered before me.”
– Isaac Newton, English mathematician and physicist (1642–1727)
The Institute for Celestial Geodynamics (IfCG) is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization that is dedicated to scientific, educational, and humanitarian goals related to the new field of Celestial Geodynamics, which is the broadly multidisciplinary study of celestial-gravitational forcing of geodynamics and the consequences of such effects accumulating over many years. The IfCG is especially dedicated to understanding and forecasting very large terrestrial earthquakes and volcanic eruptions. We are committed to continuous improvement and excellence in our work and publications.
- To advance the new field of Celestial Geodynamics, which is the broadly multidisciplinary study of celestial-gravitational forcing of geodynamics and the consequences of such effects accumulating over many years.
- To increase knowledge of the interplay of physical mechanisms and crustal processes that energize and trigger very large earthquakes and volcanic eruptions, by contributing to and expanding academic and professional studies.
- To develop methodologies for accurately forecasting very large earthquakes and volcanic eruptions—to save lives, reduce suffering, and support recovery. Forecasts must be timely, providing sufficient advance notice to allow preparation by governments, nongovernmental organizations, and populations; yet immediate enough to require an urgency for action.
- To disseminate study results and issue warnings of impending geodynamic conditions that appear significantly hazardous for resident populations.
- To advise local authorities and international relief organizations of the energetic scale of potential threats and to encourage commensurate preparation.
- To educate relevant authorities and the global public about the new paradigm of Celestial Geodynamics.
Public Use of IfCG Publications
Consistent with our mission to inform the global public, all content created by IfCG (not attributed to others) on this website is copyrighted under a Creative Commons (CC) ‘BY-ND’ license. This license type means that our material may be freely used by anyone, except that (1) attribution must be made (BY) and (2) No Derivatives (ND), no changes, are allowed without written permission from IfCG.
For more information about Creative Commons licenses, see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creative_Commons